Google AMP (amp; HTML) is an enterprise that is currently having a lot of exposure since its launch by Google early October. It plans to solve mobile web slowness which is the biggest problem on mobile devices and have accelerated
mobile pages. This slowness is very inconvenient to users who have very poor Internet interconnection. It excludes them by harming their Internet accessibility and reducing the conversion rates of their mobile pages.
AMP was launched as a team’s attempt to have accelerated mobile pages ensuring that all loading content will load immediately to the user’s convenience. By now Google AMP amp; HTML is an initiative that all users should consider if they are ambitious to have a mobile web that is not only competitive in terms all speed but also a mobile web reputable on a league of its own. Many renowned publishers like the Financial Times, the BBC, Guardian News and The Economist have integrated it into their programs, and they have been quoted congratulating Google AMP for its safety and overall convenience.
- How Google AMP Functions:
- Pros and Cons of the Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Best AMP plugins for WordPress
How Google AMP Functions:
It consists of three parts. This framework creates the mobile web pages.
1. AMP JS
2. AMP CDN
This one is optional which provides the network for content delivery. It optimizes performance by taking your pages that are AMP enabled and cache them systematically.
3. AMP HTML
It has numerous restrictions, custom tags, and properties and it is also a subdivision of HTML. AMP HTML is rather simple especially with the knowledge of the regular HTML.
The approach for optimization that Google AMP uses to enable accelerated mobile pages is a worthy subject to understand.
Pros and Cons of the Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
Apart from the convenience of a fast Internet connection and web pages loading, here are a few flaws associated with AMP that face the users. These are:
- The AMP supports all Analytics from Google, but it rejects all other Analytics from other platforms.(Recent Update Supports Some)
- Advertising is also limited to selected platforms of advertising which is an inconvenience to competition.
- Benefit are mostly to platforms or people who depend on mobile search traffic. They can maintain their Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and keep traffic on their sites.
Best AMP plugins for WordPress
Before Starting with the process of how to setup google amp, I ‘ll first list out the some of the best amp plugins which will help you in easily integrating the google amp with your WordPress website.
These best AMP plugins for WordPress, which are listed below, are free.However, some require paid subscriptions for Extra services.
AMP is a core plugin, also necessary for other amp plugins to work properly.This plugin is perfect for beginners and those who are looking to get the hang of AMP optimization easily.It does provide the customization option which you can get on GitHub.
It also supports Plugin integration like:
- Parse.ly -For tracking AMP pages when enabled along with this plugin.
- Yoast SEO
- CloudFlare Rocket Loader (modifies the output of the AMP page, which breaks validation.)
This plugin can be easily setup.Just install it and its ready to work.You can check your amp page by adding /amp after your post URL.
This is a most popular plugin that will instantly optimize your WordPress site for AMP. AMP for WP offers a large no of Customization options including analytics and Adsense Support.This Plugin gets bug fix updates regularly and also new features are introduced after some time span.
- Genesis SEO Support (New)
- Facebook Instant Articles Support Added (New)
- Widgets & WooCommerce
- Custom AMP FrontPage
- Gravity Forms Support (New)
- Page Break / NextPage (Pagination) Support (New)
- And much more which you can check here
AMP for WP has a lot of features which can do a lot of customization and add analytics codes including Adsense.Here I’ll be adding all the process step by step.
Changing Amp Design
AMP for WP give three different design option.To change the design:
- Go to Design Tab
- Click On Design Selector and select any themes you prefer.
Enabling Google Amp for Homepage
This option will let you select to use google amp homepage instead of your default homepage.
- Go to Amp Setting > Homepage
- Enable the homepage Support.
Adding Analytics code
- You can either use google analytics code or google tag manager in AMP for WP Plugin.Copy your analytics Code from your account which will be something like this UA-XXXXX-Y.
- Now Go to analytics section and place your Code.
You are Done.
Adding Adsense Ads
- To add ads in google amp plugin you need to get the Data Ad Client id(ca-pub-XXXXXXXXXX) and Data AD Slot(70XXXXXX).
- Go to Advertisement and place your codes. 🙂
Enable Contact Form 7/Gravity Support
- Go to the contact form.
- Enable the Contact Form 7 and Gravity Forms Support
Drag & Drop Post Builder
- Go to design.
- Click on Launch post Builder.
You can change the layout elements of your Amp post with the help of this builder.
Enable Mobile Redirection
By Enabling mobile redirection AMP will be the default UI of your website which will be faster than your normal theme.
- Go to Advanced Setting.
- Enable the Mobile Redirection.Now all the pages and post on mobile will be redirected to amp version 🙂
Building Landing Pages
With this plugin, you can easily build landing pages for AMP from the widgets area.lets see how to do this :
- Go to Page builder in amp setting.
- Enable the page builder for amp.
Now go to the Appearance >Widgets
Use the marked widgets in image to create your landing pages
This Completes your setting up google amp for WordPress.To check your accelerated mobile pages add /amp after your post URL.If you have any query related to google amp or something which is missing out here let us know in comment section.