Microsoft has recently unveiled updates for two significant applications: the Snipping Tool and the Notepad. These enhancements enhance your Windows 11 experience, making it more efficient and productive. Only users enrolled in the Windows Insider Dev and Canary Channels have access to these updates. Let’s take a closer look at what’s new!
Snipping Tool (version 11.2401.32.0)
The Snipping Tool has long been a dependable application for capturing and annotating images on Windows. Recently, it received significant enhancements, including the ability to record audio and cover text.
With the latest update, you can add shapes directly to your screenshots from the Snipping Tool. If you need to highlight a specific area or point out something important, follow these steps:
- Open Clippings.
- Click the new shapes button on the toolbar.
- Choose between rectangles, ovals, lines or arrows.
- Draw the shape on your image.
- Customize the fill or outline color according to your preferences.
- Ready! Your capture now includes the shape you selected.
This feature is especially useful for tutorials, presentations, or simply highlighting important details in your captures.
Notepad (version 11.2401.25.0)
The Notepad has undergone a notable update as well. Now, users can leverage the “Explain with Copilot” feature to gain deeper insights into the content of their text files:
- Open Notepad.
- Select any text you wish to understand further.
- Right-click and choose “Explain with Copilot” from the menu, or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + E.
- Copilot will provide a detailed explanation of the selected text.
This functionality is particularly beneficial for programmers, students, or anyone who frequently interacts with text files. However, it’s worth noting that some users may not immediately see this feature due to a known issue.