Adding skills on LinkedIn is a great way to boost your profile. Sometimes, just listing your work and education experiences doesn’t fully highlight all your abilities. The skills section helps emphasize specific points relevant to your profession.
On the platform, you can include up to 50 skills. You can get suggestions based on your work history or manually browse the available skills catalog. Additionally, you can recommend skills to friends and ask for recommendations in return.
Whether you’re using the browser or the mobile app, adding or removing skills is similar. Let’s take a look at the step-by-step guide!
How to add skills on LinkedIn
- Tap your photo thumbnail and select “View Profile”;
- Select “Add section” below your LinkedIn bio;
- Open the “Main” drop-down menu and select “Add skills”
- LinkedIn provides some suggestions based on your profile. Tap to add them or type a skill in the search field;
- Choose where you use the competency-based on professional experiences or academic background;
- Tap “Save” to complete.
How to delete skills on LinkedIn
- Open your profile and scroll down to the skills section;
- Tap the pencil icon to edit;
- Find the skill you want to remove and tap the pencil icon next to it;
- Select “Delete Competency” and tap “Save.”
How to Assign Competencies to Someone Else on LinkedIn
Besides adding your professional skills on LinkedIn, you can also request recommendations and give ratings to your contacts. To do this, go to the other person’s profile and navigate to the skills section. From there, pick the skills you want to highlight.
It’s worth noting that this feature is only available for your 1st-degree connections (people you’ve directly connected with) and skills that are already mentioned on the profile.