Sending and receiving photos and videos through WhatsApp is a common practice. However, this can quickly fill up your iPhone’s storage, especially since the app automatically downloads all media files by default. This constant inflow of data might lead to those annoying “storage full” alerts.
You could manually clear entire conversations or delete each item from your iPhone’s Photo Library, but it’s tedious. Moreover, files like GIFs and PDFs might still lurk on your device.
To help you out, here’s a straightforward guide with simple methods to clean up WhatsApp media files on your iPhone.
Clear WhatsApp Media on iPhone
Remember to back up your WhatsApp data before initiating any cleanup of stored files is crucial. This extra step ensures added security, especially in accidentally deleting files, as you can easily recover them from the backup.
Deleting WhatsApp files and media
1. In the “Settings” tab of WhatsApp, go to “Storage and data”.
2. Tap “Manage Storage”.
3. On this screen, you can manage incoming media with two options:
- “Scan & Delete Items”: View all media received in conversations.
- “Conversations”: See only the media you’ve received in interactions with each person or group.
4. When entering one of the above options, tap “Select” and choose each item you want to delete, or tap “Select all” if you want to delete them all simultaneously.
5. Tap the “Trash” icon to confirm the deletion.
Clearing WhatsApp conversations on iPhone
The previous method we discussed focuses on managing media files received through WhatsApp chats. If you want to delete both sent and received messages in the messenger and the files and keep your chat history clean, follow the steps below.
1. Go back to “Settings” and tap on “Conversations,” which was backed up in the previous steps. Here, you have two options:
- “Clear all conversations”: will only erase the content of conversations, keeping each interaction in history.
- “Erase all conversations”: will erase the content and history of conversations, keeping only group interactions (no data).
2. Enter the phone number in the corresponding field and finish by tapping “Clear all conversations” Delete all conversations”.