If your Instagram Direct inbox is crowded with messages and you want to tidy it up, it’s a good idea to delete conversations. You can delete entire chats, not just individual messages, in your Instagram Direct.
Here’s a simple tutorial on how to delete conversations from Instagram Direct. This process works for the Instagram app on Android and iPhone (iOS), as well as the web version of the social network.
How to delete Directs on Instagram
When you delete a conversation from Instagram, it becomes invisible only to you. This implies that the other person you chatted with will still have access to the entire message history. This rule applies to both individual and group conversations.
If you have linked your Instagram and Facebook Messenger accounts, deleting an Instagram conversation only affects Instagram.
Keep in mind that this process is irreversible. The previous messages cannot be recovered even if you communicate with that contact again. Unfortunately, there is no option to delete all conversations immediately.
On Android and iPhone (iOS)
- Open the Instagram app;
- Tap the icon with the Messenger symbol in the upper right corner;
- Find the conversation you want to delete;
- If you’re on an iPhone, swipe the conversation to the left and tap “Delete”;
- If you’re on Android, tap and hold on the conversation and select “Delete”;
- Confirm the chat deletion by tapping “Delete” again.
On PC (Instagram Web)
- Access “instagram.com” in the browser;
- Click on the icon with the Messenger symbol at the top right of the screen;
- Enter the conversation you want to delete;
- Click on the icon with the letter “i” inside a circle;
- Select the “Delete chat” option;
- Click “Delete” again.