Completely wiping your iPhone clean might seem extreme in some cases. But don’t worry; iOS allows you to reset specific settings to their original defaults without erasing your apps, photos, videos, or other data.
This is great for those who don’t need to clear up space on their iPhones or fix any issues with the iOS system. Before we dive into how to do it, let’s first understand the various types of factory reset that iOS offers for your device.
- Reset All Settings: This option restores all iPhone settings to their original defaults. This includes things like network settings, keyboard dictionaries, and privacy preferences. Remember that any credit or debit cards linked to Apple Pay will be removed. However, your apps, media, and data won’t be affected.
- Reset Network Settings: This choice reverts all your iPhone’s network settings to factory defaults. It also changes your device’s name to just “iPhone.”
- Reset Keyboard Dictionary: This option restores your iPhone’s keyboard dictionary to its original state, removing any new words you’ve added.
- Reset Home Screen Layout: If you pick this, your iPhone’s home screen will return to its original setup with the default apps in their original positions.
- Reset Location & Privacy: This option restores all your iPhone’s privacy and location services settings to their original defaults.
Erase Everything from iPhone (Without Reset)
Given this, it is up to the user to choose the type of reset they want to apply to their iPhone. Find out below how to reset your iPhone to factory defaults without erasing your data or completely resetting it:
- In your iPhone Settings, go to “General”;
- On the next screen, scroll down and click on the option “Transfer or Reset iPhone”;
- When entering the reset screen, select the “Reset” option;
- A window will open with a series of options, allowing you to reset network settings, keyboard dictionary, Home screen layout, location, privacy settings, or all settings simultaneously. To erase all settings on your iPhone without completely resetting it, select “Reset All Settings.”