When you save Wi-Fi networks to your iPhone or iPad, they automatically get shared across all devices linked to your Apple ID. While this can be convenient, it might also lead to your device connecting to networks you no longer wish to use.
If you come across such situations, there are two options you can consider. Firstly, you can go to your device settings and forget the network. However, if you forget the network, you’ll have to enter the Wi-Fi password again when you want to use it in the future.
The second option is to disable the automatic connection for specific networks. This way, you won’t be automatically connected to them, but you can still access them by manually selecting the network and entering the password.
For networks you no longer intend to use, you can forget them altogether.
If you’re wondering how to perform these actions, don’t worry. We have a tutorial to guide you through the process. The steps mentioned below are demonstrated using an iPhone, but you can follow the same process on an iPad.
Forget the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > Bluetooth. On the Wi-Fi network your device is connected to, click the information icon to the right of the signal bars.
- Right at the top of the screen, you find “Forget This Network.”
- A confirmation window will open on the screen for you to forget about that network.
Forget a Wi-Fi network that your device is not connected to
- If you want to forget a network your device is not connected to, go back to the list of found networks, find the network you want to forget, and click on the information icon to the right of the signal bars.
- You will see the option to “Connect to This Network” – just below is the option to “Forget This Network.” Click and confirm.
Disable automatic connection
- Whether your current Wi-Fi network or one you are not connected to, click the information icon to the right of the signal bars.
- Find the “Automatic Connection” option and disable it – this way, the Wi-Fi network still has the password saved for you to connect to your devices. However, you have to click on it to connect to it manually.