Remember Moto ID? It was the first music recognition tool launched in 2009, gaining popularity on Motorola devices. However, in the following years, Shazam took the lead in this category, becoming the go-to app for music recognition on mobile phones.
Shazam has since partnered with various technology companies to expand its user base. One notable collaboration was with Apple. Users who downloaded Shazam and used it to identify songs could unlock a promotion offering five free months of Apple Music. It’s worth noting that this promotion applied to new Apple Music subscribers, not existing ones.
Today, music recognition has evolved on iOS, extending beyond Apple Music. Users can easily discover playing music through Siri, which activates Shazam with a voice command or via the Control Center.
Even though Shazam is now deeply integrated into iOS, the app is still available on the App Store for users who want to explore additional features. Check out the tutorial below to learn more about recognizing music on your iPhone.
How to use iPhone Music Recognition
1. When you’re in a room with music playing, activate Siri and ask, “What’s that song?” or “What’s playing?”.
2. Wait while Siri detects it for you.
3. After a few seconds, it should recognize the song. The artist and song name will appear in a window at the top of the screen for you. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, click on the window to open the music in the Apple application.
4. At the bottom of the screen, the artist and song name will also appear in Siri’s reply text if your iPhone has written speech enabled. If not, understand how to transcribe Siri speech on iPhone into text.
By the Control Center
Shazam’s music recognition is seamlessly integrated into Siri and iOS, eliminating the need to download the app for this method. To easily discover music from the Control Center, follow the steps below:
1. Go to the “Settings” app and tap “Control Center”.
2. Scroll down and tap the plus (“+”) button under “Music Recognition”.
3. Open Control Center on any iOS screen and automatically tap the Shazam icon to recognize the music playing in the environment. The feature will only be enabled for a few moments.
4. once you get the song recognition, press the notification to see more details and be directed to Apple Music.
Via the official Shazam app
The Shazam app offers additional features compared to native iOS solutions, including previewing song clips, exploring recent discoveries, syncing music to Apple Music, and more. To understand how to download the app and make the most of its features, follow the steps below:
1. Download Shazam from the App Store.
2. Open the app from the home screen and tap the Shazam symbol to discover a song.
3. Tap “Apple Music” or “Open” to listen to the full song, or tap “Add” to place it in an Apple Music playlist.
4. Scroll down and see the latest discoveries by the app.